If you are facing a California divorce, you may have questions about spousal support – also commonly called alimony or maintenance – and understanding the basics can help. Spousal support refers to a monthly payment that is court-ordered and is made by one former spouse to the other after a divorce (and sometimes during the pendency of the divorce). If you have concerns related to alimony, consult with an experienced spousal support lawyer in Los Angeles today.
Alimony is intended to help bridge the financial gap a spouse experiences after a divorce and to provide some level of support while he or she obtains a better financial foothold – through employment or other resources. If the discrepancy between your spouse’s post-divorce financial situation and your own will be too great, the court may order spousal support to mitigate this financial shortfall.
The court will take a wide range of factors into consideration when making a determination about whether spousal support is required and, if so, about its amount and duration. These considerations can include:
- The length of your marriage (the longer you were married, the more likely spousal support becomes)
- You and your spouse’s age and health relative to one another
- The amount of money required to continue maintaining the standard of living you and your spouse attained during your marriage
- You and your spouse’s relative abilities to continue sustaining this lifestyle
- The debts and assets each of you will have post-divorce
- The role each of you played in the other’s financial success (for example, if you stayed home and raised the children in support of your spouse’s career)
An Experienced Alimony/Spousal Support Lawyer in Los Angeles Can Help
Alimony can play an important role in your financial future. The Los Angeles spousal support and alimony attorneys at The Broadway Law Firm have the experience, commitment, and resources to skillfully advocate for you in court and at the negotiating table. We will fight to ensure get the result you deserve. We’re on your side, so please don’t hesitate to contact us today.