Being bitten by a dog is both terrifying and extremely dangerous. Dog owners are responsible for ensuring that their dogs don’t harm others, and when they fail to do so, their pets can cause serious injuries.
If a dog bite leaves you injured, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced attorney from The Broadway Law Firm in Los Angeles today.
California Dog Bite Law
In the State of California, if someone else’s dog bites you, the owner of the dog is responsible for the damages you incur as long as the following two conditions are met:
- You were injured by the dog’s bite – not by the dog jumping up on you, scratching you, or knocking you down.
- You were in a public place or were lawfully on private property when the dog bit you.
In California, the fact that a dog owner had no knowledge of his or her dog’s vicious nature or propensity to bite or that he or she took reasonable precautions to prevent the bite in the first place are not valid defenses. Such defenses could apply, however, if the dog attack in question involves a dog that scratches, trips, or jumps on an individual and causes the person to be injured in the process.
Dog Owners’ Defenses
A dog owner does have several defenses that sometimes apply, and these include:
- A victim who was trespassing at the time
- A victim who provoked the animal in question (dogs with quick triggers, however, are not excused)
- A victim who assumed the risk of entering an enclosure with a dog who was exhibiting obvious signs of aggression
You Need an Experienced Dog Bite Attorney in Los Angeles on Your Side
If you’ve been injured by a dog bite, the dedicated dog bite attorneys at The Broadway Law Firm in Los Angeles have the experience, compassion, and resources to help guide your case toward a resolution that works for you. Our experienced legal team is on your side, so please don’t hesitate to contact us today.