If you have lost someone close to you due to an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, it is a tragedy that can profoundly affect you and your family’s future. This is the very reason that the law addresses the issue with wrongful death cases, which help survivors recover for their losses.
If someone else’s negligence causes you to lose a loved one, you need an experienced wrongful death lawyer from The Broadway Law Firm in Los Angeles on your side.
Who May File A Wrongful Death Claim?
In the State of California, only the following parties are eligible to bring a wrongful death claim:
- The surviving spouse or domestic partner of the deceased
- The surviving children of the deceased
- Anyone who would be entitled to the estate through intestate succession (if the above do not apply)
Which Damages Are Available?
Wrongful death cases are very similar to personal injury cases – except the decedent’s survivors make the claim for damages. Such damages can include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical costs associated with the decedent’s fatal injury
- Lost income for the survivors, including that income into the future that the decedent would have been expected to earn
- Loss of love and other emotional assets for the survivors
Like personal injury cases, wrongful death cases are subject to a statute of limitations. In California, this means that the case must be filed within two years of the decedent’s death.
Contact The Broadway Law Firm
Injuries that result in death are always hard; always unexpected. Although you can’t bring your loved one back, the dedicated attorneys at The Broadway Law Firm in Los Angeles have the experience, commitment, and compassion to fight for the compensation you need to begin your journey toward healing. We’re here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact us today.